Thursday, February 26, 2009

Being a Phony

According to Holden if you use words like "grand" or "marvaless" you are for sure a phony in his eyes.

Holden is very judgemental, and he is not afraid to make fun, or mock you if he believes that you are fake. Though he is quick to pass is opinion on you if your being a phony, you often don't see him analyize his own behaviour. If Holden thinks your being fake in someway he will be the first to start to mock you, he loves to tell lies, and make things up just so he can get a rise out of you. For example when Holden is on the train with Ernie's mother and they got to talking and she was worrired that Ernie wasnt fitting in at school, and Holden starts telling all these lies about her son telling her that her son was doing good, and was a really nice guy, but in reality he is the kid who likes to whip you with a towel after a shower, that nobody really likes.

In my opinion Holden is more of a phony than anyone else. He constantly talks about how he dislikes Stradlater and Jane, because he dosent want Jane to just get used because he has some feelings for her whiether he admits it or not. But the way I look at it is he was to afraid to tell Jane how he feels about her so he becomes resentful of Stradlater, he may be a player but atleast he is man enough to get with women he likes. I cant stand Holden, and I'm so happy that Stradlater punched him in the head, cause thats exactly what I would have done, Holden like to be-little people and make them feel like they are below him, and he is in someway supior, and if he ever did it to me I would have popped him one right in the face.

I believe people who are quick to pass judgement on people, often have problems with there own insecurities, and i find that Holden is indeed a phony.

No comments:

Post a Comment